Tuesday, August 24, 2010

Proposal One

I approached this idea with the aim of keeping the existing topography. As such, I designed a pair of buildings, one more social and public, the other a quite personal studio.




A visitor to the map maker’s studio would enter via a large deck on the north side of the lower building. This deck has adjustable screens for privacy from the neighbouring park and pub. Large glass doors into the building create an indoor-outdoor living space. You then enter into a large exhibition space, behind which is access to the studio, a kitchenette and bathroom.

The office space, depicted in the perspective below, is surrounded by bookcases. It has a sloping roof and large pull back doors that open the space to an outdoor courtyard that looks over the park.

Although, I enjoyed developing this design I did decide to pursue it as I did not really feel it had a Mies quality. Although it embraced the open plan of many of Mies’ buildings I think that the extent of the openness, which was necessary given the special requirements did not create a variety of different areas, rather to distinct areas.

No comments:

Post a Comment