Monday, April 26, 2010

Early Lab Development

After drawing my axonometrics I developed this basic form for my first lab idea within Sketchup. From my sketches I knew that I wanted the structure to have multiple levels, but overall seem flat. I wanted this flat design so that is could span form the land to the water, which would be another differentiating factor for the two scientists.


I developed the original shape to be appropriate room proportions and height for the function and inhabitants. Once, it was the right size, the proportions did look quite right, so I needed to adapt the shape and measurements.

Kuepper Side - Top Lab

I developed these two sketches over a print out of my sketchup model, which provided options for two different designs. I wanted to make the central meeting place more interesting and I wanted to intercept the labs with the meeting place to create more harmony in the structure.



I really liked the idea of having an open middle meeting point. Both scientists interact with the environment in different ways and by having an open meeting area they are exposed to the elements that inspire their search for knowledge.

Aerial view from Darwin Side.

No comments:

Post a Comment